March 13, 2008

I ain't no high-class broad..

I went to Rodeo Austin last night!
Daniel and I had a friend with extra tickets, and called to see if we were interested in tagging along.
Um..yes?!
It turns out that he had front row seats and tickets to the Founder's Club, so I guess you could say we got the royal treatment, as usual. This was my first Rodeo and definitely the best way to experience it! You are right in the middle of the action--I think I even got hit by some dirt.
The whole culture of cowboys and rodeos makes you feel as if you stepped into another dimension. First of all, they opened the rodeo with a prayer. No, you heard me right. Second, I think cowboys might love America and the American flag almost as much as they love Jesus. They were saying things like, "Aren't we lucky to live in the best nation in the entire world? The nation where everyone who doesn't live here wishes they lived here??"
Cue the National Anthem sung by the pretty little tone-deaf cowgirl...

I thoroughly enjoyed watching buckin-broncoes and bull riding. Those guys make truckloads (literally) of money for sticking their necks out like that! There were no serious injuries due to bull-riding last night, much to our disappointment.

The highlight of the night for Daniel was the "kids' portion" of the show. This was quite a surprise.
After several minutes of buckin' horses and wrestling small cattle to the ground, out walk a group of small children, all between the ages of 3 and 5.
I'm thinking to myself, "Oookay, what lame, cutesy stunt are they going to do here?"
Well, I'll tell you: sheep riding. They put these little buckaroos on the backs of sheep, tell them to hold on for dear life, and away the sheep runs bucking and twisting all the way. These kids were getting kicked and trampled and then they'd stand up and raise their fists in the air as if to say, "I did it!"

It was a fun night of livin', and I now know what I want to do for the rest of my life:
Barrel Riding.

Wild hearts can't be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment