April 1, 2010

if you have nothing to do this Easter weekend...

Wait, rewind.

Have we ever talked about my deep and undying love for BBC Miniseries based on classic literature?
Typically, in my opinion, if it's made by the BBC and it's based on a book, I have high hopes that it will be fantastic. Plus, there are so many great classics out there with wonderful stories, and I love that BBC really seems to try to bring out the important themes and elements of those stories in their portrayals.
For example, most people have seen the 6-episode Pride and Prejudice that is basically flawless. At least, I think it is. It's hard to top Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy--he was tremendous.
(Although, I did like Matthew Macfayden as Mr. Darcy in the 2005 adaptation with Kiera Knightley)



You have bewitched me, body and soul...

Ahh, I shall faint.

Well I have many, many lesser known favorites that I want to share with you. Because I believe that you must see these miniseries. It is for your own good, to help you become well-rounded men and women of understanding and depth. Like me.
(And most of these are available for your viewing pleasure on Netflix Instant Play)

Our Mutual Friend - based on the novel by Charles Dickens.


Let me just say, it's a little dark in certain parts.
But I loved the story of Bella Wilfur and John Harmon and the development of their characters.
I was so inspired by Bella's growth and change of heart. It's a beautiful love story.
Daniel laughed at me because it is a pretty suspensful story, and had myself all tied up in knots over it. But the end it so satisfying!












Wives and Daughters - based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell



I love, love, love this series.
I watch it over, and over, and over again and never, never, never get tired of it.
I love it.
And I admire Molly (the heroine) so very much. People confide in her, and even at the risk of her own reputation she keeps their secrets, realizing that the secrets are not hers to tell.
It made me think a lot about being a trustworthy person.

My favorite line of the movie: ,"I’m not saying she was very silly, but one of us was silly and it wasn’t me."






Jane Eyre - based on the novel by Charlotte Brontë


Jane Eyre may take the cake. I actually read the book after watching this series and was amazed at how accurate the movie is. I've read some negative opinions about the story itself, but personally I love the story. It makes me weak in the knees like P&P does.

Oh, how I loved watching this series.












North and South - based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell



I just finished watching this series for the second time and loved it even more than I did the first time I watched it. It is rather dark, but has a P&P type of love story.
You should watch it. You may get frustrated with the prideful attitudes of the two main characters in the beginning (like me -- kind of like Elizabeth and Darcy!), but if you stick with it I think you'll be happy in the end. So happy!

I just love it when characters are redeemed.










So, if you are bored this weekend don't come crying to me. I've just provided you with hours of entertainment.

If you've seen any of these, let me know what you thought. Talking movies is a favorite pasttime of mine.
Or if you have any recommendations, please oh please do tell.

3 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with pride and prejudice -keira knightley version. also incredibly mad about sense and sensibility as well as mansfield park. sadly, i've never watched any of the bbc miniseries. i'm thinking it's about time i did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that movie too! Everyone I talk to says, "It wasn't as good as the BBC P&P." But I try not to compare the two.
    I thought it was amazing and beautiful. I liked that the characters were a little more fiery and passionate. And I loved the musical score. I thought Kiera Knightley was a wonderful Lizzy. Despite that weird thing she does with her nose and mouth.
    It was so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the whole set of the BBC versions of Charles Dickens. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete