July 19, 2010

Things I Like

It's been forever since I my last post!
Not quite. But nearly.

I like the word nearly.

Life is full of life these days. I sat for a moment and tried to think of another way to put that, but there it is. I hope you know what I mean.
 I've been trying to occupy all of my handsome young man's free time, of which there is very little of course. But that little time is heaven. Heaven, I tell you.

On Saturday night we were so in the mood to go see a movie. And not at just any theater. We wanted the wonderful Alamo Drafthouse. Friday afternoon I heard an interview with Leonardo Dicaprio about his new movie Inception, and it intrigued me. So we decided to see it.
However, as is typical of an opening weekend for any movie at Alamo, it was sold out by the time we were able to get to a computer to purchase tickets.
I still really wanted to go to the movies.
So I talked Daniel into taking me to see Eclipse, one of the Twilight movies. He is a good sport. He takes me to lots of movies that I know he won't love (or even like sometimes!). But he takes me because he knows I just love going to the movies.
I discovered two things that evening:

1. I read the Twilight books and I was kind of into it for a while. The last movie was a strikeout--major. This one was better than the last, but since watching it, the more I've thought about it the more I've loathed it.
Time to move on. I am over it.

2. This one's really important. The Guinness Shake is pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to me so far -- except meeting, marrying, and dwelling in marital bliss with my beloved.
Okay, so maybe I'm being a little melodramatic (what? me?), but seriously.

It is bow-chicka-wow-wow-scrumdidlyumptious.

I'm assuming that this shake involves some Guinness beer and some hellagood Amy's icecream -- and whipped cream with some candied sunflower seeds sprinkled on top.

I don't even like beer, my friends. Not a bit.

It all started because I was feeling particularly adventurous and impulsive that Saturday evening. I spotted it on the menu, as I had many times, but this time I turned to Daniel and whispered excitedly, Let's get the Guinness Shake!
He looked at me skeptically and then at the menu.
I have a feeling I'll be eating this shake on my own.
We debated over the $7 shake for a couple of minutes before I saw our server scooting our way, and in a last-minute burst of courage, wrote the order on our flag.
It was done.



The decadent shake arrived and we grinned as we looked from eachother to the mountain of creamy goodness before us. I tasted the shake first, and then, eyes bright with happiness, passed the sinful dessert to my handsome chaperone. He tasted the shake and we stared at each other with delight! Could it really be this divine?! From that point on, all shakes would pale in comparison to this sensational elixir. It would become a staple of every Alamo Drafthouse visit from then into perpetuity. We would go to the movies just to taste it. And next time...we might have to get our own.

We liked it.

Since we missed Inception this weekend, I guess we'll just have to go back this weekend.

Has anyone been enjoying watermelon this summer as much as I am?
I am into watermelon in a big way. It's my sweet-tooth satisfier. I think I eat an entire watermelon a week these days. Healthy, delicious and satisfying. And hydrating!

Last week I painted my nails hot pink, and I like it.




I love Mason Jars. And this summer, I would like to fill them with some cold brew coffee. Thanks, New York Times.  



I've known about Flight of the Conchords for a few years now, but I've become reacquainted with them this summer and they are making me laugh as much as ever.
I love that at first glance, their comedy act slightly resembles something you would see on Public Access telelvision. Just one small part of the hilarity.

I'm happy to say this movie is in my Netflix queue:



Lastly, I'm currently enchanted by The Sartorialist Blog.
It might be part of the reason I haven't been blogging much, because nearly every spare moment is spent digging through the archives. I can't quite pinpoint what exactly draws me in, but I'm theorizing.
It must have something to do with the photography. True portraits that seem to capture so much. So much individuality and creativity. I love that people are so different, and I love the expression of differences that clothes can communicate!



2 comments:

  1. I just have to say that I love reading your blogs! Without sounding like a creeper (I'm definitely not), I have similar thoughts about reading your posts as you described with The Sartorialist. Your writing is very captivating even when you're talking about seemingly small things as Twilight or that amazing sounding milkshake! And I discovered the same revelation about The Twilight Saga while watching Eclipse last week. I found myself hitting my head against the seat halfway through the movie, ready for it to be over.

    Anyways, sorry for the book! Ha! Just wanted to say I like your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the only redeeming thing about watching Eclipse (for me), was the Guinness Milkshake. And maybe the green chili queso fries. A little bit.
    Thanks for commenting! I love getting comments! :)

    ReplyDelete