August 11, 2008

Life Unfolding

This weekend I watched the Olympics.
And that's almost all I did. I also knit while I was watching them, one straight line, over and over again.
I'm getting better and perhaps...just maybe...I'll make something someday.

I've had so much fun watching the Olympics! There is something so cool to me about watching so many countries from all over the globe coming together and participating in something that transcends culture and language barriers: sports. Game-playing in some instances.
My absolute favorite sports to watch so far are: Swimming, Gymnastics, and Indoor Volleyball. For some reason beach volleyball drives me crazy. I don't like it.
I'm having fun watching some older athletes compete in the sports that are dominated by the young and spry.
Dara Torres is 41-years-old is competing in swimming among a bunch of 20-somethings. It was fun to watch her speed her way to her tenth Olympic medal as anchor to the U.S. relay team. I'm wondering if she's going to continue to do well!
Also, there's 31-year-old Oksana Chusovitina, a Russian competing for Germany's women's gymnastics team. That's like 80 in gymnast years! Especially compared to China's gymnast who seriously seriously look like first-graders (when they are supposedly 16 years old. Yeah. Right.). I think Chusovitina has competed in the Olymics before, many years ago, but she started doing gymnastics again after bringing her very young son to Germany for Luekemia treatments. So, not only is she older than everyone competing in her sport, she's had babies. That is so impressive to me.

This morning I was driving to work and listening to Relevant Radio (Austin's Catholic radio station--with which I am obsessed), and they were talking about raising children counter-culturally in a corrupt culture. I was agreeing, saying things like, "Right on!" "I love Catholics!" "Woo hoo!"
Anyway, as they continued to talk about this subject, one woman came on and started talking about how children shouldn't be allowed on social networking sites, or at least when they are their activity should be diligently monitored by their parents. And I started getting defensive and thinking -- get this -- "I'm old enough to be on social networking sites and using my own discretion!"
And then I realized that they probably weren't talking about 22-year-old kids who were married and had long since moved out of their parents' house.
Yeeeeaahhh...

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh. that last part was hilarious. you made me laugh at my computer while sitting alone in roasters. thanks. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete