March 18, 2008

Eureka!

This morning I realized something. I can no longer read Les Mis at work. I think the reason I am struggling with this last stretch of the book is because I can't get lost in the streets of Paris with Victor when I have to answer the phone every 3 sentences. It makes reading tedious rather than pleasurable, and up to this point I have enjoyed it so much!
Plus, I feel like I am at a place that requires my undivided attention. Eponine is dead! Gavroche is dead! Combferre is dead! Courfeyrac is dead! Enrojas is untouched, Marius is bleeding, Jean Valjean is mysterious (why did he tell Javert where to find him? He's been running from him for so long for Cosette's sake...what has changed?!), and I am wondering when a Thenardier will show up again.
By some miracle I've forgotten every movie of Les Mis I've ever seen and I have no idea what to expect. But once I'm done I'm going to listen to the whole Broadway musical and actually understand what is going on.

For now I'll have to find some lighter reading to occupy my free time at work. And I can look forward to curling up on the couch with a cup of tea and plunging into Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment